Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Creative Writing (Non-fiction) - The Lost Watch

The following is a piece I wrote for a creative writing class I am taking. If you're an aspiring writer, I highly recommend this class. 


The Lost Watch

Back in 1990 I had a very nice black and gold Armitron watch that I bought from Sears. It featured a twisted bracelet-style band that I could just slip on. The watch was inexpensive but fancy enough for me to wear to work. As a bank teller, I was required to wear dresses and pantyhose every day. Yes, pantyhose. Casual Fridays weren’t a thing yet. As a matter of fact, a lot of things weren’t a thing yet.

For those of you who don’t know or can’t recall, let me set the scene. There was no Netflix. We watched regular network TV shows like “Cheers” and “Roseanne.” Cable television and VCR’s (old fashioned DVD players) were available to people who could afford them. But most of us had to watch shows as they aired.

There was no Pandora. We listened to a rotation of songs on the radio by artists like Milli Vanilli and MC Hammer. Sure, we could listen to CD’s that we bought from the store, but there was no music that was streaming or that could be downloaded. Those words weren’t in our vocabulary yet because there was no internet. I’ll just pause here for a moment while you absorb that...

Let me continue. There were no cell phones. No. Cell. Phones. Cordless phones for landlines had just recently become popular. I was thrilled to be able to walk around my apartment and talk without a cord pulling me back, but I couldn’t go much farther than my front porch. And I couldn’t use the phone in my car or take pictures with it.

Now that you know we were living in the Dark Ages, let me get back to the story of my watch. As I previously mentioned, the watch was easy to slip on, therefore it was easy to slip off. It must have done just that, because one day it went missing. I searched everywhere–no luck. I was so disappointed. Not only was I on a very tight budget, the unique design of the watch would make it difficult to replace.

One day I saw the landscaping guy outside mowing the lawn for the apartment complex, and I asked him if he’d seen my watch. He was this surfer dude with Wayfarers, a dark tan, and blond hair. “No, I haven’t seen it. But I’ll keep my eye out for it,” he promised.

A few days later he showed me a watch he had found. Turns out it wasn’t mine. However, I was impressed by the landscaping guy’s determination. (And green eyes. And cute butt.)

A week later I saw him in the parking lot. His blond hair was covered with a baseball cap this time. When I saw that it said U2 “Rattle and Hum” my heart did a little flutter. I loved U2. I was obsessed with Bono and Ireland and the music. And now here was this guy who was clearly a fan. Maybe it was fate.

We chatted for a while. His name was Matt and he was a very nice guy, but he was just too young for any type of romantic connection, I decided. What would he have in common with me, a 24-year-old divorced single mom?

The next time we bumped into each other was at the grocery store. I was strolling down the aisle with my little daughter in the cart (and an embarrassing bag of generic Oreos) and here comes Matt carrying a 6-pack of beer.

“Oh, hi!” We greeted each other with big smiles. “Aren’t you too young to be buying beer?” I quizzed. The legal age was 21 and he looked about 18. “No, I’m 24,” he laughed. My heart fluttered again. He was exactly my age.

After “accidentally” running into each other a few more times, Matt and I began dating. Two years later we got married. In between that time we saw a U2 concert together—from the fourth row!

Over the span of 27 years, we’ve lived a life of adventure, creating a home and raising a family, experiencing all the sunrises and sunsets that life has to offer. One constant among the chaos has been the love that we share.

These days Matt is more golfer than surfer, and I wear cozy yoga pants more often than I wear dresses. But we’re still the same two people who found each other because of a lost watch.




No comments:

Post a Comment