Monday, December 29, 2008

Healing with Humor (Thanks, Jerry Seinfeld!)

When life throws you the toughest challenges, when your heart feels so dark and heavy that the thought of laughter almost disgusts you, that is precisely the moment you need to turn to humor for healing.

In the first few days after my daughter's death, I thought I'd never be able to eat or sleep again, let alone laugh. When someone you love has died, the thought of laughing seems almost like a betrayal.

I did eat eventually and I did sleep eventually (with the help of prescription medicine). And I also laughed eventually. In fact, listening to stand-up comedy on the radio and watching sitcoms on tv is what got me through some of my saddest and loneliest moments, especially in the first year after my daughter died.

I've always loved comedy and our family has always been a big fan of sitcoms. Jerry Seinfeld has always been one of my favorite comedians. His humor has a way of making things seem lighter. Whether I am watching his show, reading his books, or watching his stand-up, I always smile and I always feel better.

Watching "Seinfeld" distracts me and takes my mind off of things. It helps that it isn't centered around family. Sometimes it is really hard for me to watch anything involving family, even if it is supposed to be funny. It's just too painful to be reminded of what I lost.

I also enjoy watching "Becker" and "Frasier." I find comfort in anything funny as long as the story lines don't remind me of anything painful.

Reading books about grief, writing about my feelings...all of that has helped me to heal. But I think humor has been the most helpful and the most comforting overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment