Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A New Year -- Live in the Moment

There's something magical about the New Year. It always holds mystery, excitement, and promise. Also, a clean slate.


I think it's natural we celebrate or recognize certain dates throughout our lives, but I think it's important that we are careful not to plan too much and forget to live in the moment, live right now.

I have found that a lot of life is spent thinking about the past and wishing for the future, and not enough of life is spent being grateful for and really "seeing" the present.

We tend to say phrases like this a lot:
"When I was growing up..."
"When I was in high school..."
"When my kids were little..."
"As soon as I have more money..."
"As soon as I lose weight..."
"As soon as I get my dream job..."
"As soon as I find the right person..."

What about this?
"I am glad today is sunny."
"I am very healthy at this moment."
"I look good today."
"I have enough money to provide what I need."
"I enjoy being with (insert name of someone who is in your life NOW)."
"I'm proud of the fact that I am (insert a trait you have NOW.)."

There have been times in my life when I could have lived more for the future--eaten less food or saved more money. But in all honesty, I have no regrets because I enjoyed every moment. I was usually enjoying food and spending money in the company of family and friends. No regrets.

If you plan 100% for tomorrow, you may find tomorrow doesn't arrive in the way you thought it would.

This is my plan, to pay more attention to the moment I am in. That doesn't mean throw all caution to the wind. But just appreciate who I am today.

Enjoy THIS moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment